Whether its your first home or a home that you have lived in for years, mold can still be a problem. It doesn’t take much for mold to form. A leaky shower, exterior window or standing water in the laundry room. Wherever home structures have encountered water, can be a potential mold infestation.
“Exposure to damp and moldy environments may cause a variety of health effects, or none at all. Some people are sensitive to molds. For these people, molds can cause nasal stuffiness, throat irritation, coughing or wheezing, eye irritation, or, in some cases, skin irritation. People with mold allergies may have more severe reactions. Immune-compromised people and people with chronic lung illnesses, such as obstructive lung disease, may get serious infections in their lungs when they are exposed to mold. ” (Center for Disease Control, ‘Facts about Mold and Dampness’)
There are 2 different types of mold tests, a tape lift test and an air quality test. If there is a specific area of the home that has a microbial growth this can be tested with a tape lift sample to determine what type of growth it is.
An air quality sample is taken to determine what kinds of spores are present in the air inside the home. A 2-sample minimum is required for this test. One sample outside and a second sample inside the home to compare the common outdoor spores to the speed found inside the house.
Both the tape lift and air quality samples are taken to the lab to be tested to determine what was found. From the day the sample is submitted to when the results are received are about 5 business days. A rush status can be requested for additional fee.